Can you fix a burst pipe?
Usually just after winter’s first freeze is when plumbers get called to fix burst pipes. That’s because homeowners sometimes forget to protect their pipes, the pipes freeze and expand, and then they burst. What can you do to prevent your pipes from freezing? Follow these easy steps:
- Before temperatures drop, let water drip. Even a slight trickle can keep your pipes from freezing.
- Insulate pipes, especially in crawl spaces and attics.
- Protect outdoor faucets and valves. Disconnect hoses and if possible shut off water to outside faucets and drain them before the freeze.
- Open cabinet doors, especially at night. This will keep the pipes at room temperature.
If your pipes have frozen or have otherwise become damaged and burst, and you need fast, reliable burst pipe repair in Red Oak, TX, you can always count on the pros at HC Edwards Plumbing. We are available 24/7 and you can schedule us quickly and easily by calling 214-862-0225.
What should I do about a burst pipe?
If you have a burst pipe, the first thing you want to do before calling a plumber is shut off your water. Bursts pipes can quickly waste hundreds of gallons of water. Disconnecting the water not only saves you money on your water bill, but you’ll also prevent severe water damage to your home. You can shut the water off at the main water meter, usually outside near the sidewalk in the front yard. Additionally, open all the faucets to drain any leftover water and relieved water pressure. It’s also advisable to shut off electricity, depending on where the leak is located.
After the water is shut off, you want to call a plumber to fix the pipe. It’s best not to try to make the repair yourself, as this could lead to further damage. You can, however, start with the cleanup, grabbing mops and buckets or a shop vacuum to minimize the water damage. This will especially help prevent mold growth.
Once the broken pipe gets repaired, you want to finish removing any water that’s flooded the area. The longer water remains in an area the more likely it will damage walls, floors, and belongings, and lead to costly repairs. You might need to call in a water restoration professional if the flooding is extensive.
Is a broken pipe an emergency?
Broken and burst pipes are always considered an emergency situation and you want to get it taken care of as soon as possible to avoid serious issues with water damage. Never hesitate to reach out to the plumbing professionals at HC Edwards Plumbing for broken and burst pipe repair in Red Oak, TX and the surrounding areas. Our plumbers are on-call 24/7 and always ready to help in an emergency situation.
Can you claim insurance on a burst pipe?
Burst pipes can prove to be a worrisome and costly headache. Fortunately, to undercut the costs of burst pipe repair, many homeowners’ policies cover damage from burst and frozen pipes. In fact, according to the Insurance Information Institute, 22% of all homeowner’s claims result from freezing and water damage. Of course, insurance policies will vary, so contact your insurance agent to make sure you are covered.
How long does it take to fix a burst pipe?
Depending on the severity of the damage, it typically takes a plumbing professional two to four hours to complete a burst pipe repair. Most of this time is usually consumed trying to find the burst and determining the break’s size. Although many leaks occur behind walls, very rarely will a pipe burst through the walls of your home. Plumbers, however, may have to open the walls to get to the pipes and make the repair.
How common are burst pipes?
Burst pipes are actually some of the most common repairs plumbers make. While these repairs usually occur because the water in the pipe has frozen and caused the pipe to expand, pipes can also burst for the following reasons:
- Aged pipes: Whether metal or PVC, pipes that are 20 years or older can become corroded or brittle and break.
- Clogs: While you might think of clogs as innocuous nuisances, they can actually seriously damage pipes. Large clogs slow down the flow of water through the pipes, which increases water pressure and can cause the pipe to burst.
- Improper connections: Pipe connections are very vulnerable spots in your plumbing and if the connections have somehow weakened this can expose the pipes to high water pressure and lead them to break
How do you know if you have a burst pipe?
Repairing a burst pipe quickly is the key to minimizing damage and repair costs. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to detect a pipe burst, because they will rarely burst through walls. Some ways to find a pipe burst include:
- Spotting frost around a pipe: This usually indicates the pipe is already frozen and may end up expanding and bursting as it thaws.
- Stains appearing on walls, floors, or ceilings: Stains and discoloration often signify that a pipe is leaking.
- Low water pressure
- Pipe emitting foul odors: This usually means the pipe has burst from a clog.
- Higher water bills: Leaks are usually the culprit that’s causing your water bills to increase.
What damage does a burst pipe cause?
If a burst pipe goes unrepaired, it can cause extensive damage to your home. Hundreds of gallons of water can flood your home in a short time and that water can damage floors and ceilings as well as wood and sheetrock. Worse still, your foundation can be weakened and all this damage can lead to steep repair costs. That’s why it’s better to get the leak repaired as soon as it is discovered.
Burst pipe repair near me
When you’ve discovered a burst pipe in your home, you want to get it repaired quickly. For fast, effective 24/7 burst pipe repair in Red Oak, TX, rely on the trusted professionals at HC Edwards Plumbing. Get on our schedule by calling 214-862-0225.